Pages

Monday, February 20, 2012

How to Make a Box Cake Mix Taste Like a Cake From Scratch

Okay, maybe not *exactly* like scratch, but much closer than a box cake mix made strictly according to package instructions. More than once, I've had someone ask me if a cake I made from a box was from scratch using this trick. I got it from my grandmother; I'm not sure who she got it from. And this works with any flavor of standard (approximately 18 oz) box cake mix. I always swore I wouldn't give away my secret, but since I now have an easy scratch butter cake recipe, I pretty much don't use this anymore. So I'm sharing it with you! :-)
Box Cake Mix Additives
Source: Jacqueline Warren

Ingredients:
  • 1 (approx 18 oz) box cake mix, any flavor
  • ingredients in amounts listed on the package to prepare cake
  • 2 Tablespoons vegetable oil (in addition to what the package calls for)
  • 2 Tablespoons light corn syrup
  • 2 Tablespoons self rising flour

Directions:
  • Prepare cake mix as directed on the package, adding additional oil, corn syrup, and flour when other ingredients are added.
  • Mix and bake as directed on package.

Tip: If you measure the oil in the measuring spoon first, then the corn syrup, the corn syrup will just slide out of the spoon without sticking.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...