Box Cake Mix Additives
Source: Jacqueline Warren
- 1 (approx 18 oz) box cake mix, any flavor
- ingredients in amounts listed on the package to prepare cake
- 2 Tablespoons vegetable oil (in addition to what the package calls for)
- 2 Tablespoons light corn syrup
- 2 Tablespoons self rising flour
- Prepare cake mix as directed on the package, adding additional oil, corn syrup, and flour when other ingredients are added.
- Mix and bake as directed on package.
Tip: If you measure the oil in the measuring spoon first, then the corn syrup, the corn syrup will just slide out of the spoon without sticking.
Monday, February 20, 2012
How to Make a Box Cake Mix Taste Like a Cake From Scratch
Okay, maybe not *exactly* like scratch, but much closer than a box cake mix made strictly according to package instructions. More than once, I've had someone ask me if a cake I made from a box was from scratch using this trick. I got it from my grandmother; I'm not sure who she got it from. And this works with any flavor of standard (approximately 18 oz) box cake mix. I always swore I wouldn't give away my secret, but since I now have an easy scratch butter cake recipe, I pretty much don't use this anymore. So I'm sharing it with you! :-)