Pages

Saturday, October 15, 2011

Jo Mama's World Famous Spaghetti from RecipeZaar - Family Favorite



There are not words to describe this spaghetti sauce, but I will give it a try. How about Italian Heaven in a Bowl? The author of this recipe, Sharlene W, says her kids will give up a steak dinner to have this spaghetti sauce at home, and I completely believe it. I have stopped getting spaghetti when I go out to restaurants because I know I can make better - THIS sauce - at home. It makes enough to feed an army, and the recipe could be easily halved, but trust me, don't. Make the whole batch and freeze half. You'll be thankful when you're craving it again in a few weeks and all you have to do is thaw some out.
Jo Mama's World Famous Spaghetti by Sharlene~W
Source: Originally from RecipeZaar, now Food.com

Ingredients:
  • 2 lbs Italian sausage, casings removed
  • 3/4 cup chopped onion
  • 3-4 garlic cloves, minced
  • 1 (28 ounce) can diced tomatoes
  • 2 (6 ounce) cans tomato paste
  • 2 (15 ounce) cans tomato sauce
  • 1-2 cups water (the longer it simmers, the more water you need)
  • 3 teaspoons basil
  • 2 teaspoons dried parsley flakes
  • 1 1/2 teaspoons brown sugar
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 1/4 teaspoon fresh coarse ground black pepper
  • 1/4-1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes (optional)
  • 1/4 cup red wine
  • 1 lb thin spaghetti
  • good quality parmesan cheese
Directions:
  • In large heavy pot, brown Italian sausage, breaking up as you stir. Drain fat.
  • Add onions and continue to cook, stirring occasionally until onions are softened.
  • Add garlic, tomatoes, tomato paste, tomato sauce and water. Add basil, parsley, brown sugar, salt, crushed red pepper (if using), and black pepper.
  • Stir well and barely bring to a boil. Stir in red wine.
  • Simmer on low, stirring frequently for at least an hour. A longer simmer makes for a better sauce, just be careful not to let it burn! Add more water, as needed, to achieve and maintain the desired consistency.
  • Cook pasta according to package directions. Ladle sauce over drained pasta and sprinkle with parmesan cheese.
Erin's Notes:
  • I usually use half mild and half sweet Italian sausage. I prefer petite diced tomatoes. If I can find the tomatoes, sauce, and paste with basil/oregano/garlic already in it, I use that. I definitely leave out the red pepper flakes (you know me).
  • I will be perfectly honest, it takes me about 2.5 hours from the moment I walk into the kitchen to start the meal to the moment I serve it into bowls over pasta. It's about 1 hour of active cooking "get it in the pot" time, plus 90 additional minutes of simmering. I just can't seem to get it done any faster, but this recipe is so good, it is definitely worth it!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...