Pages

Sunday, October 30, 2011

Salisbury Steak from AllRecipes - Family Favorite



I certainly wouldn't say that this is a classic Salisbury Steak recipe, but whatever it is, it is yummy. I found this recipe many years ago, not long after we bought our first house (that was 2001). Both my husband and I loved it from the start. I've made one minor adaptation, discussed at the end, but otherwise, this is still how I make it all these years later.
Salisbury Steak
Source: adapted from AllRecipes.com, submitted by Kelly Berenger

Ingredients:
  • 1-1/2 pounds ground beef
  • 1 (10.5 ounce) can condensed French onion soup
  • 1/2 cup dry seasoned bread crumbs
  • 1 egg, beaten
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt
  • 1/8 teaspoon ground black pepper (optional)
  • ketchup - 2 Tablespoons (for meat) plus 1/3 cup (for sauce)
  • Worcestershire sauce - 1 Tablespoon (for meat) plus 2 Tablespoons (for sauce)
  • 1 tablespoon all purpose flour
  • 1/4 cup water
  • 1/2 teaspoon mustard powder

Directions:
  • In a large bowl, mix ground beef with 1/3 cup soup, bread crumbs, egg, salt, black pepper, 2 Tablespoons ketchup and 1 Tablespoon Worcestershire. Shape into six patties.
  • In a large skillet, brown both sides of patties over medium-high heat. Pour off excess fat.
  • In a small bowl, blend flour and remaining soup until smooth. Mix in water, mustard powder, plus remaining ketchup and Worcestershire sauce.
  • Pour sauce over meat in skillet. Cover, and cook for 20 minutes, stirring occasionally.

Erin’s Notes:
  • For the 1/3 cup of soup that goes in the meat, I usually spoon out most of the onions, then add a little of the liquid. That way most of the onions are in the meat adding flavor, leaving most of the liquid to keep the sauce smooth.
  • I usually brown the patties until they are mostly done, then pour on the sauce. I simmer covered until the meat is done, then simmer uncovered until the sauce thickens.
  • Works fine with ground turkey, perhaps adding a bit more ketchup and Worcestershire sauce to the meat, though I do still prefer this particular recipe with beef.
  • I've begun experimenting with making these in muffin tins instead of browning in a skillet. Will update if/when I perfect the method.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...